Thursday, November 11, 2010

Oh Jess, We Did (raise $10,000 for Lupus and run the marathon!)

Sorry for the delay, I've been processing the fabulousness of Sunday's marathon, and letting my bod recover. And oh wow, how could I possibly describe this experience?! It was marvelous and mind-numbing, exhilarating and exhausting, humbling and heroic (yes, I just called myself a hero).

First things' first- I DID IT! I ran 26.2 miles through the streets of NYC with 45,000 fellow lunatics. I didn't have to stop to pee, barf, or relieve any pain; I hydrated and GUed while running; I didn't suffer from any blisters, cramps or chafing. And I managed to do it in a respectable time: four hours, two minutes and eleven seconds, to be exact. As far as I'm concerned, that was enough thrill for the day. But really, it wasn't crossing the finish line that was the most satisfying part of the day...(though that did feel pretty f'ing good!)

It really was the friends and family cheering me on both before, during and after the race that made the experience so magical. It was just unreal to have my family and friends on the sidelines, jumping and cheering and waving; and to feel the support of far away friends calling, emailing and texting their good luck and congrats before and after the race. And then there was my superhero sister who jumped in and ran the last 7 miles with me, continually reminding me "Nat, I can't believe you're WINNING this race!" It really did make me feel all warm and fuzzy, even when my body felt beat and heavy at mile 22. So thank you all, you know who you are, and you should know that I love you :)

As you probably know, I decided to run this race to raise money for Lupus, in honor of Jessica, my dearest friend and hero who has been racing to stay ahead of this disease for the past 7 years. I know I speak for both of us when I say, that we were blown away by the support and generosity of our friends and family. I probably shouldn't have been worried about raising money when it had to do with Jess, because, well, she's just so damn popular! And, to quote her brother's fabulous wedding toast "Jess is cooler than everyone here." But I guess I just didn't have a grip on exactly how popular she was-- we had over 150 people support us. And I'm proud to say we raised (cue Austin Powers voice....)over Ten Thooooooooousand Dollars. Whoa. That feels great.

And you know what felt even better? Hugging Jess at the end of the race.
If you want to hear about this whole thing from Jess' point of view, check out her blog post. (tissues advised) And to see a lot more unattractive sweaty, but smiley pics, check out the Paulparazzi's album.

No comments:

Post a Comment